Beginner's Bird Watching
We start at the beginning and voyage into the extraordinary world of birds!
Let us lead you into the remarkable world of birds. It is a journey that offers you the possibility of fun, discovery and reward for the rest of your days. However, at first the huge topic of birding can seem overwhelming. If the prospect of joining a bird watching group is a bit intimidating, this programme is designed for you!
We start from the basics and though a series of mini-workshops and presentations, as well as great days out in the field, we will introduce you to the building blocks of understanding the birder's world.
Topics covered will include:
- Introduction to the anatomy, ecology, classification and behaviour of British birds.
- Getting to grips with the lingo: know your ‘mippits’ from your other ‘LBJ’s!
- Introduction to optics; a comprehensive induction to the use of Swarovski’s excellent telescopes and binoculars.
- Bird song. What it is and how to start identifying birds by call.
- ‘General Impression, Size & Shape’ - the art of understanding GISS.
- Breaking birds down into groups - corvids, falcons, waders, thrushes etc.
- A visit to a black grouse lekk.
You will be loaned - free of charge - a pair of Swarovski Optik binoculars for the week.
“Our week here produced everything we came to see and then went further. The rangers’ breadth of knowledge continues to amaze. The hospitality is superb. We cannot wait to come again” David & Yvonne Stephenson